View more workshops
Please note: workshops and schedule subject to change.
Workshops Block B
Thursday, November 5, 2020 at 3:00pm EST
Veteran educator, former Lead Faculty Member at the NAIS Institute for New Heads, Head of School at the Center for Early Education in Los Angeles.
Helping a School Face Issues of Racial Justice: What Diversity, Equity and Inclusion Directors Can and Cannot Do
Diversity & Inclusion
One DEI director shares his perspective on the crucial role diversity practitioners play as schools work toward racial justice, as well as the role of the school as a whole in becoming a more inclusive and just community.
- David Thompson, Jr., Director of Diversity & Community Life, The Bishop’s School, La Jolla, CA
How Do You Strengthen Enrollment, Episcopal Identity, and School Culture?
Episcopal Identity • Leadership & Governance
Learn how to align your governance team (including the head, board chair, and rector) to strengthen—and even transform—your school. We’ll look at key indicators of effective leadership teams and practical tips for strengthening them. We’ll also introduce a variety of useful tools, including best practices, goal setting methods, neuroscience, “shopping” tools, and our 100+ years of collective experience.
- Ned R. Murray D.Min., Headmaster, Episcopal Day School, Augusta, GA
- The Rev. George E. Andrews II, President, G. E. Andrews & Associates
- Shannon Earle, Educator & Human Performance Coach
Making a Classroom Where Everyone Can Breathe — Where Independent School is Not Working
Diversity & Inclusion • Curriculum & Teaching
Episcopal schools continue to have an achievement gap between white students and students of color. Teachers are the most effective force for change in this area. In this workshop we will show how teachers, though often not equipped to do such work, can create a relationship with each student, and allow for academic achievement. This workshop is for any teacher who has a student who needs to feel more connected to their school.
- Robert Johnson, Upper School Grade Dean, Breck School, Minneapolis, MN
The Future of Early Childhood Programs in Episcopal Church Settings
Early Childhood • Church-School Relations
COVID-19 has had a profound impact on preschool programs affiliated with Episcopal parishes, cathedrals, and other church entities. Directors, Rectors, School Board Chairs and parish leaders are invited to come together to explore the dynamics at work in a fast-changing landscape of early childhood education and how they might best plan for the future.
- Dana Toedtman, Board Chair, St. Thomas’ Preschool, Whitemarsh, PA
- Page Race, Head of School, St. Matthew’s Episcopal Day School, Austin, TX
- Dr. Cris Lozon, Director, Early Childhood Development Center, St. Margaret’s Episcopal School, San Juan Capistrano, CA